Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott
Lots of gamers have it out for the new Left 4 Dead title being released this November. People are blasting the game, the company, and have formed official boycott groups against the sequel.
We’re hearing things like it’s too early for a sequel. It will diminish the first game. Valve is no longer Valve.
A Steam group called L4D Boycott (NO-L4D2) exists with thousands of members, focusing on nine particular issues:
• Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
• Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
• The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
• The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
• The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
• L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1’s visual aesthetic
• The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
• L4D2’s release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
• The community has lost faith in Valve’s former reputation for commitment to their games post-release
Clearly the group feels that a sequel this soon will not only be unjustified and poor in itself, but will harm the quality of and stop any continued development for the first game.
Members are getting reprimanded on Steam, people wonder why this game’s content couldn’t just be a DLC, and many die-hard fans of Valve’s legendary focus on continued development and community respect are second-guessing their favorite company. Thousands agree the timing is off, the characters seem lame, the aesthetics of the new game being in the deep south is not L4D-esque (yet it can’t be too similar or it fuels the pointlessness of the release). Valve seems to be in a tight spot.
Clearly the game deserves a sequel – but are things being handled the wrong way? What do you think?
One thing’s for sure – Hitler is pissed about the news.